The Alliance for Patient Safety, of which the Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists is a key member, is asking candidates standing in the General Election to show their commitment to our campaign for statutory regulation by signing the following:
"There are large sections of the healthcare workforce in this country that remain unregulated despite the fact they work directly with patients and, in some cases, perform investigations and procedures that can affect a patient's wellbeing or cause serious harm."
"These professional groups, such as clinical physiologists, do not have the same public profile as doctors and nurses, but perform vital work. I support their efforts to secure proper and effective regulation if I am elected, and respect their efforts in ensuring the safety of their patients."
The purpose of this commitment is to highlight the importance of clinical physiologists in the NHS and to enable registrants to see which MPs seeking re-election and Prospective Parliamentary Candidates have signed the patient safety pledge to support.
Signatories of the Patient Safety Commitment include:
- Liz Saville (Plaid Cymru PPC for Dwyfor Meirionnydd)
- James Barber (Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich ward Liberal Democrat PPC for Dulwich & West Norwood): “I support this commitment but would go much further. My mother was state registered chiropodist but anyone can call themselves a physiologist. Clearly this is ludicrous so would extend the commitment to all such professions”
- Dr Wendy Taylor (Liberal Democrat Councillor and PPC for Newcastle East): “As a doctor I know how important it is to have formal regulation of professionals & am happy to support & sign the patient safety commitment”
- David Chappell (Liberal Democrat PPC Bury St Edmunds)
- Neil Hughes (Liberal Democrat PPC for Penrith & the Border): “as well as being a candidate I am a lay rep on a CCG”
- Michael Mullaney (Liberal Democrat Councillor and PPC for Hinckley and Bosworth)
- Rob Marris (Labour PPC for Wolverhampton South West): “I will support efforts to secure proper and effective regulation”
- David Drew (Labour PPC for Stroud)
- Dr Alan Bullion (Liberal Democrat PPC for Sevenoaks)
- Patrick Hall (Labour PPC for Bedford) "I am supportive of the Alliance's campaign."
- Chris Took (Liberal Democrat PPC for Woking)
- Cllr Michael Borio (Labour Party PPC for Ruislip Northwood and Pinner)
- Jasper Gerard (Liberal Democrat PPC for Maidstone and the Weald)
- Peter Reisdorf (Liberal Democrat PC for Wirral West)